photo Jane Richmond_zpsux4wawxl.png

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Sewing -- Cheyenne Tunic and Linden Sweatshirt


Sewing -- Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June blogged on www.janerichmond.com


Last week I completed two very challenging and time consuming tasks. Both, once finally complete, were incredibly rewarding.

The first, was a week and a half long slog through paperwork, bookkeeping, and ultimately tax preparation, ugh. It's a good thing I love numbers :)

The second, was a reward for completing the first task. Once my books were signed, sealed, and delivered, I allowed myself some much needed and long awaited sewing time. I don't break out my machines often since I tend to fall into a deep, deep sewing trance, spending full days and late nights sewing, with reluctant breaks for food and sleep. Knowing this about myself, I schedule my sewing time around my work and Elsie's schedule so that I'm not neglecting any of my responsibilities.

This session I tackled Hey June's Cheyenne Tunic after admiring it on my friend Mandy. The pattern was way beyond my skill level, but Mandy told me it was easy to follow and encouraged me to jump in. Because it had been so long since my last sewing session I decided to whip up a Linden Sweatshirt as a warm up. I scored a whole pile of 100% cotton jersey bedding at the thrift store and made a wearable muslin (aka night shirt) to get a feel for the pattern. It was fast and easy and the shirt is super comfy! I can't wait to make another Linden once I finally get my hands on some proper sweatshirting.

Sewing -- Linden Sweatshirt by Grainline blogged by www.janerichmond.com

Sewing -- Linden Sweatshirt by Grainline blogged by www.janerichmond.com

For the Cheyenne I used a flannel bed sheet from my haul with the intention of making a wearable muslin. This pattern introduced me to so many new techniques and there were many finishing steps compared to what I'm used to (whipping up tanks and tees on my serger). I actually got to use my sewing machine for the majority of it which was a nice change of pace. Because of this, the project took me a long time to complete. I also made many mistakes that had to be ripped out and redone. In the end, I finished with a very nice looking shirt. And despite the worn out, pilled flannel bed sheet, it's very wearable. I absolutely love it and plan to make many more! Because it is so labor intensive, my only regret was not splurging on proper fabric for this one.

Sewing -- Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June blogged on www.janerichmond.com

Sewing -- Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June blogged on www.janerichmond.com

Sewing -- Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June blogged on www.janerichmond.com

This was my first Hey June pattern and I loved every minute. The pattern layout is clear and easy to follow and nothing is overlooked. Considering the amount of new territory I crossed (making a button placket and sewing buttonholes, using interfacing, making a collar and buttoned cuffs), this pattern is perfectly suited to new-ish, non-techincal sewers like myself and I highly recommend it!

I had a few scraps left over which I decided to use to make a matching set of zippered pouches (another project I'd never done!). I perused tutorials online to get the general idea of size and construction. I made my pieces 9" x 5 1/2" for the large bag, 9" x 4 1/2" for the medium bag, and 5" x 4 1/2" for the small bag. There are so many tutorials and patterns out there but this one just made sense to me and was the least fussy. I used this tutorial to learn how to install the zipper (another first!).

Sewing zippered pouches www.janerichmond.com

Sewing zippered pouches www.janerichmond.com

They were fast and fun to make (and a little bit addictive—I wanted to make a more!).

I adore sewing. When I sew it takes over the house (...our house is very small). I set up my 6 foot folding table for cutting, leave my ironing board out, and set up my sewing machine and serger back to back on my breakfast table. I don't take any of it down until I'm completely through—Elsie always shakes her head at the mess. I love getting into it and letting myself get totally swept up in a project.

...but it sure feels good to reclaim my space when it's all done!



Do you sew? If so, what was your latest project? What's your sewing style—do you let it take over the house? Do you have a craft room with a permanent sewing station? 



11 comments:

  1. So clever to use a sheet! I miss challenging projects like a plaid shirt, a button-down shirt in general. No time these days. Great job! It looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne Marie!! It's the most complicated project I've taken on, and it was so rewarding! Are you finished with your daughters sewing competition yet?

      Delete
  2. love the both! For the sweatshirt did you do the longer or shorter version? I've been looking for a sweatshirt like that for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the longer version, it shrunk up a bit after throwing it in the dryer but it's the perfect length! I highly recommend the pattern—it's SO easy and the fit is perfect. I'll be making many many more!

      Delete
  3. Love Love Love!

    These are two great patterns. But I don't sew. I love how you repurposed some great fabrics, what a great way to get a feel for a pattern, and get wearable items at the end of it all too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so incredibly inspired by that shirt! I can't believe that you made it out of thrifted bedding. I know you said that you wish you had made it in better fabric, but the lived in, super cozy vibe of the flannel bedding looks absolutely perfect! I don't sew nearly as much as I'd like to for the exact reason that you've mentioned, space and the hypnotic sewing trance that I get into once I start, but you've totally inspired me to just accept it and dive in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dive in Tanis!!! Come over to the dark side, lol. I do love the contrast between knitting and sewing, the processes are so different but both produce such useable items! Both are SO rewarding!

      Delete
  5. I adore both your latest sewing projects ~ I'm so envious and really must push myself to get my sewing machine out this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drag it out and jump in Evelyn!! Once you get going you'll be so happy you did!

      Delete
  6. I have a linden sweatshirt cut out and waiting for me in my sewing room. I finally hunted up some matching thread and have hopes of making some progress on it this weekend. I've also printed out and prepped patterns for a tee for my daughter (Rae's flashback skinny tee) and a bathrobe for me (Alameda from the latest Seamwork). The bathrobe is dearly needed but the tee will probably be done first because it's smaller and faster and is needed for an upcoming birthday celebration. I love sewing as much as knitting and feel really lucky to have a whole room with a door for it. Unfortunately that door also means it's the room we use for anything that needs to be hidden away from our crafty cats and it is in desperate need of a good cleaning out. I can never quite sacrifice my precious sewing time for the cleaning out though so it just stays messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! It sounds like you've got your projects all lined up! The Linden comes together SO fast after the cutting is done so I'm sure you'll have that done in no time. The flashback skinny tee is adorable and Alameda is stunning! I'm excited for you! ...and also incredibly jealous of your sewing room. I know exactly what you mean about all of the random bits that need to be hidden, we don't have any kitty's but our mudroom seems to be where everything collects! I purge when it gets bad but it always builds back up!!

      Delete